Walk completed August 28, 2011

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day 7 -- Trevarrian to Harlyn Bay

The day started out with the usual full English breakfast – bacon (ham), tomato, hash browns, mushrooms, egg, baked beans, toast. I could have had sausage also, but why overdo it? That’s the main course. It’s preceded by cereal, milk and yogurt. Top it off with a cup of coffee and a glass of orange juice, and I’m ready to float to the next destination. And you thought this would be hard work.

Ruby, Mary Jane and Maisie
The past few days I’ve been coming across an incredible number of people walking their dogs – most of which are either Labradors, golden retrievers, or border collies. The dogs are wonderfully friendly, maybe because I smell like them. But I smelled like them when I was in Ireland, and the dogs there kept attacking.

Dogs aren’t the only thing I smell like. I decided to leave the coastal path today due to high winds and spitting rain. I turned inland through the farm country, and almost immediately distracted the cattle from their grazing. They must have thought I was another cow leading them to greener pastures. I’ll spend more time in the shower tonight.

The English treat their animals very well.  I'm a little concerned about their children, however.

I’ve been seeing more and more Volkswagen buses. Many of them had surfboards on top. I thought I was in a time warp back at UCSB in the '60's (that’s University of California at Santa Barbara for anyone challenged by abbreviations). The west coast of Cornwall seems to be the surfing capital of England. The Beach Boys should do a gig here.






© 2011 Ken Klug

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, this is the life....with meals like this you will come back looking like one of those cows following you!...
    Love the " Free range children " sign, you would pick that right up!
    Go get that extra shower so the animals stop thinking you're one of them. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken, I've been reading, and really enjoying, your blog. I'm more than a week behind, but I'll catch up. Terrific photos, really humorous parts, and great writing style. Of course, wish I was an End to Ender also this summer.

    ReplyDelete