Walk completed August 28, 2011

Friday, June 17, 2011

Day 17: June 17, Bratton Fleming to Simonsbath

Teddy bears at Rosehill
I spent the last two nights at Rosehill Guest House in Barnstaple. Barry and Marvine have done a wonderful job of restoring what had been an old, uninhabitable, abandoned house, and converting it into a beautiful property, high on a hill overlooking Barnstaple. Yesterday, Marvine drove me to the bus station where I caught the bus to Bratton Fleming, and then walked back to Rosehill. Today, Barry drove me to the bus station so I could return to Bratton Fleming to continue on with the walk.



Rider near Challacombe
The day started out drizzly and breezy, and conditions continued to decline. By the time I reached Exmoor, heavy winds were blowing the cold rain. For the first time since I arrived, I wore all four layers, including gloves. It wouldn’t do to become hypothermic on Exmoor. For some 3+ hours on the moor, there was nobody in sight. Route finding was easy, but navigating the rain-soaked bogs kept things interesting. There was no shelter whatsoever, and by the time I got off the moor I was very wet, but at least my gear kept me warm. I saw no other hikers the entire day. What’s the old saying about bad weather being fit only for mad dogs and Americans?


Signpost at Exhead


Victorian mailbox at Challacombe



Without anybody to talk with, I covered the 15 miles in just over 5 hours – I think that’s a new record for me.






© 2011 Ken Klug

2 comments:

  1. Ah Ken, I am almost overwhelmed with nostalgia for the Devon summers and moorland walks of my childhood!

    God, am I glad I moved to Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken, I'm really enjoying following your walk. Meeting new friends is a large part of it, but to reunite with Nora Too! has to have been extra special for you.

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete