Walk completed August 28, 2011

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day 19 -- Sunday, June 19, 2011; Roadwater to Crowcombe Heathfield

Today could have been a bad day, after yesterday’s 10+ hour marathon. Last night was spent at Wood Advent Farm, outside of Roadwater. You may recall that I had mailed 10 pounds of supplies from Pendeen to myself at Wood Advent Farm. Because today is Sunday, the post office is closed, so I was unable to mail them farther. Accordingly, I had the prospect of carrying the extra 10 pounds today. But Diana Brewer saved the day by agreeing to take the package to the post office tomorrow. So I exchanged the maps I’ll need for the maps I’ve already used, re-taped the box, and left it with Diana to send to George and Ann. Tomorrow, I’ll mail the Pennine Way maps to Knighton, where I’ll pick them up after Offa’s Dyke. So the weight issue is no more.

Today’s walk was mostly on high forest trails with gorgeous views of the surrounding hills.

Jason and Rob
It was Sunday, so I expected to see many people on the trails, but apparently the only ones brave enough to attack the mud were Jason and Rob, two mountain bikers.

House near Stogumber
The sun poked in and out of the clouds all day, and the countryside which England is known for came alive.

Father's Day dinner
I decided to have dinner early in Stogumber before heading to my B&B. I treated myself to a full Father’s Day dinner.

Barbara and John
At the pub, I also met a charming couple, John and Barbara. They used to live near Bath and their house was adjacent to the Kennet & Avon Canal, so they were amused when I told them that Janet, Keith, Cathy and I had walked right by, and were disappointed when we weren’t invited in for a drink. John recently celebrated his 90th birthday, so I couldn’t resist asking him if he served during WWII. Of course he did – he had enlisted into the RAF in 1939, and later served in the Royal Navy. Fortunately for him, he wasn’t part of the D-Day invasion, but he served in both Africa and Italy. That was also my father’s tour of duty; I know there were many soldiers and sailors there, but it would be ironic if they had been in contact with each other. I would like to think so.


© 2011 Ken Klug

No comments:

Post a Comment