Walk completed August 28, 2011

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Day 11, June 11, 2011 -- Boscastle to Bude

My personal welcome sign
Today was a long day. I left Boscastle at 10:00 and finally dragged into my hotel at Bude at 7:20. The SWCP in this section is extremely difficult, which explains why I didn’t encounter very many walkers along the way. Because there are so few walkers who actually come all the way from Boscastle, the Bude village officials put out a personal welcome sign for me when they heard I was coming. I was touched.



Boscastle is a pretty little village, much of it having been rebuilt after a massive flood in August, 2005.

Much of today’s walk was through preserve land owned by the National Trust. At one location, wild horses have been introduced. 


Ethel and Jennifer
After four hours of very difficult terrain, I arrived in Crackington Haven. As I entered the village, two ladies sitting on a bench remarked, “Didn’t we see you in Boscastle?” I said that was possible, and asked them if they had walked all the way. “Of course not, Boscastle is only a short drive – why would anybody walk?”





The rest of the day was occupied by more scenic views. The steep descent into Millook revealed a geologically interesting cliff face.  Enlarge the photo and look at the switchbacking layers.








Patriotic Brits
Scenery is getting old without interesting people along the way.










© 2011 Ken Klug

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ken,

    Adrian and Anita here. Glad to see you are still going strong; really nice to meet you on the South West Coast Path, and happy to see our photo on your blog!

    Good luck on the rest of your trip.


    A & A

    ReplyDelete