Walk completed August 28, 2011

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Day 29; Longtown to Hay-on-Wye 13 miles

Andy Robinson’s guide suggests going from Pandy to Hay-on-Wye in one day, because the route runs the length of the high ridge through Brecon Beacon National Park. I didn’t start in Pandy yesterday, so it would have been difficult to go all the way through to Hay-on-Wye.  As a result, yesterday I descended about 1200 feet from the ridge to Longtown. Today, I had to re-ascend those 1200 feet to re-gain the ridge. It’s a good thing that the full breakfasts provide lots of energy.
Rosemary and Jonathon
Once on the ridge, the walk was generally flat, with good footing. A brisk cross-wind from the west kept things cool, and I made very good time. Eventually I saw a group of about 10 walkers far ahead of me, heading in the same direction. I gradually gained on them until I was no more than 300 or 400 yards behind, when I encountered Jonathon and Rosemary coming from the other direction. They are walking Offa’s Dyke, and left Hay-on-Wye three hours earlier. Since it was almost noon, I concluded I would reach my destination about 3:00. (I actually arrived about 2:30, because J&R’s three hours included an ascent to the ridge, and I faced only a gradual descent from the ridge.) I never did catch up to the group.


Blocked lane
 I’ve previously mentioned how the footpaths often cross farmers’ fields. Sometimes the farmer is allowed to divert the footpath and re-route walkers around the public right-of-way if his crop would be damaged by walkers or if the nature of the crop would inconvenience walkers. As I approached Hay-on-Wye, I experienced another type of diversion. A lane was entirely blocked by a vehicle and trailer as gardeners were clearing out an overgrown yard. There was no way for me to go around, partly due to the high walls on either side of the vehicle, partly due to my big backpack, and partly due to the full breakfasts I've been consuming. Rather than move the vehicle, the homeowner had me detour through her garden into her house, through the living room and kitchen, and out the front door.
 Homeowner Gay
I wonder if the new route will be shown on future editions of the Ordnance Survey map.







© 2011 Ken Klug

1 comment:

  1. You are doing good, detour and all! Such beautiful pics, thanks.

    ReplyDelete