Walk completed August 28, 2011

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Day 75, Sunday, August 14, 2011 – Fort William to Gairlochy, 10 miles

Today is another short day, dictated by the location of available accommodations. It rained on and off all day, but the rain wasn’t a problem because for the next few days I’m following the cycleway along the Caledonian Canal.

As I left Fort William, Kenny and his four walkers drove past me on their way home to Glasgow. They stopped and mentioned that they tried to telephone me yesterday to arrange dinner together.  As is typical, I hadn’t turned my phone on, so I missed their message.  It was a nice thought, though, and I appreciate the gesture.

Peek-a-boo Ben
My route required walking along a busy road for a few miles until I reached the cycleway, which starts next to a series of locks known as Neptune’s Staircase. There were no views most of the day; there was one spot where Ben Nevis threatened to come out from behind the clouds, but it never really did.


Keith

Along the way, I met two cyclists from France, and Keith, from the midlands of England, who completed the WHW yesterday and is now walking the Great Glen Way. He was going farther today than I did, so we parted at Gairlochy.




The forecast for tomorrow is more rain. The local Scots are saying that they can’t remember a summer with so much rain, but I suspect they have short memories and say the same thing every year.


Rainbow


© 2011 Ken Klug

1 comment:

  1. Funny to see how many people do the same walk, walking, biking, they are all eager to see the beautiful countryside. The pics are good enough for me.

    ReplyDelete