Walk completed August 28, 2011

Friday, August 12, 2011

Day 73 – Rannoch Moor (Kingshouse) to Kinlochleven, 9 miles

Today was another dark, gloomy day, and the forecast afternoon rain has just started falling.  Because of today's short walk, I beat the rain. This morning's views into Glen Coe and the surrounding mountains were spectacular in the low light conditions, and one can only imagine how the addition of sunshine would have enhanced the scenery.

Despite the gloomy day, everybody I met was cheerful. Today is the penultimate walking day for almost everyone. The West Highland Way terminates at Fort William, tomorrow’s destination for most of the walkers. I still have two more weeks to go, and if I keep to my schedule, I’ll arrive at John O’Groats on Sunday, August 28. There’s still a lot of distance to cover, more people to meet, and new friends to make, so I’m looking forward to the next two weeks more than I’m looking forward to arriving at JOG.

Jaquie and Davie
As I was leaving Kingshouse this morning, I encountered Davie and Jaquie again. I first met them at the Beech Tree Inn, shortly after I joined the WHW from Strathblane.  We chatted again outside of Inveroran yesterday. Today I remembered to take their picture.



Mandy and Heather
above Devil's Staircase
I also remembered to take a picture of Mandy and Heather. They and I have been passing each other multiple times since I first encountered them and their young sons on the trail last Saturday as we all headed for Drymen. Their sons left the walk, as planned, a few days ago, but Mandy and Heather continued on and will finish tomorrow at Fort William.




Sue
Walkers weren’t the only ones smiling in the gloom. As I neared Kinlochleven, I met a mountain biker, Sue. Sue is a friend of Andy Robinson, the author of the guidebook I’ve been following, and she mentioned that her husband joined Andy on some legs of the walk as Andy was researching his book.

I can’t believe how this walk just keeps getting better and better, gloomy days notwithstanding.


© 2011 Ken Klug

No comments:

Post a Comment