Walk completed August 28, 2011

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Day 71 – Tyndrum to Bridge of Orchy, 7 miles

Joyce and Kenny
I shared last night's B&B with the three dancers of Rowardennan, along with Joyce who is walking the WHW with them, and Kenny, Joyce's husband.  I've previously mentioned how the ebb and flow of walkers increases the enjoyment of the WHW, because everyone seems like long-time friends over just a few days.  Kenny isn't walking, but rather is serving as luggage transporter and shuttle service as Anne, Becky, Elliot and Joyce walk together.  But I also keep on bumping into Kenny, and he's also become like a long-time friend -- and not just because he keeps buying me drinks.  Like most of the Scots I've met, he's just a nice guy.  I hope I keep bumping into him, because I owe him a few drinks.

Inclement weather
Torrential rains fell all during the night, and were still falling during breakfast. Being a highly experienced outdoorsman, I know how to deal with inclement weather. I stayed at the B&B as long as possible, and then went to a local coffee shop, where I nursed a cappuccino for 90 minutes waiting for the rain to stop. I could afford to wait out the rain, because today is a forced rest day, with only a short walk between accommodations.

Bridge of Orchy Hotel
I had tried to obtain accommodation tonight at Kings House, a hotel in the middle of Rannoch Moor and 18 miles from Tyndrum, but it was full tonight. A room is available tomorrow at Kings House, so I decided to stay tonight at the Bridge of Orchy Hotel – about halfway to Kings House, and stay there tomorrow.


Burn in spate
Wait as I might, the rain never let up, and at 11:00 a.m. I set off into the worst of it. Due to the prolonged rains, the burns were in spate. (That’s local talk for the creeks were overflowing.) No novice to stormy weather, I knew that all the wet ground made for dangerous walking. Landslides and rockfall were imminent, but like all great explorers I scoffed at the danger.

Landslide danger

I lost count of the number of swollen creeks I had to cross, but was pleasantly surprised that the Scottish authorities had courteously built a footbridge over every single one so I wouldn’t get my feet wet. I wonder how they knew I was coming. Perhaps King Arthur told them. It’s nice having friends in high places.










© 2011 Ken Klug

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ken,

    I left a reply to your comment on my blog. I'm flying home tomorrow and I kind of hate to leave. I've really enjoyed GB. You're in for some good walking when you leave Fort William. Enjoy the rest of the trip. I'll be watching.

    Jack Frost

    P.S. If you're planning on taking the A9 route, check-out my wayfinding notes. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course they helped out, they knew Sir Lost a lot was on his way....The ugly weather seems to follow you, hopefully it clears up just long enough to let you finish up this epic walk.
    Cheer up, the sun is shining just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I just found your site, when you are a stones throw (sort of) from your destination. Good luck on the rest of your hike. I'll be following along.

    ReplyDelete